Thursday, June 27, 2019

Taking time away from the same old 6's and 7's




Taking time away from the same old 6's and 7's has become something I look forward to each summer.  I never take these times for granted as there have been times in my life when I wondered if we would be able to pay the rent and utilities.   In those days, I worked during the week at one job and spent the weekend working retail while my husband built his business, we focused on raising our family and kept the faith.  During our time off we washed clothes and cleaned houses worked in the yard and built a garden.

"Time off" often looks different from one family to another and may change as we grow.  In our young life as husband and wife, when money was scarce, our "Date Night" might be a movie on television.  I can remember how much I looked forward to watching the mini-series about John Adams.  My husband and I cuddled on the couch with popcorn and a coke each week.  Sometimes we would go for a walk or picnic in the park and watch the birds.  We would ride bikes as a family and used the library to find books and videos of interest for free!

Our economic situation improved; we are now able to go away for "working" vacations, we attend conventions and at the same time have enjoyed seeing so much of the United States.    We, now, can stay at hotels, popcorn and coke replaced with dinners out, but taking time off has the same therapeutic effects.

Find a way to rest, restore the soul, and try something new.  My journal, filled with these memories is a treasure chest of joy.  Take a few minutes to be thankful  and write about your "Time Off."

No comments:

Post a Comment