Thursday, December 5, 2019

The Swing by Auguste Renoir




 Do you see the people in the background of this picture? A group of men and women enjoying a spring day in France.  I usually focus on the girl on the swing.  I like her pretty dress, and I am sure that I am not the only woman in the world who says to herself, "I wish I could go back in time to life in France in 1876 when people got dressed up and went to garden parties."  A visit to France confirmed this fact.  Did notice picture of the swing? Curators bought a spring and connected it to the bottom to absorb the weight of even the most substantial figure.  Thousands of women, my self included, stepped upon it to imagine what it would be like to have our picture painted by Renoir and perhaps had a photo taken instead.


Renoir is fabulous.  When you look at his paintings, everything is beautiful, everything is delightful, and he ignored the ugly stuff. Renoir once said, "To my mind, a picture should be something pleasant, cheerful, and pretty, yes, pretty! There are too many unpleasant things in life without creating still more of them." I could not agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment