Wednesday, May 29, 2019

My handwritten journals would be a mystery to you. Simple words, scratches, phone numbers, page number






My handwritten journals would be a mystery to you.  Simple words, scratches, phone numbers, page numbers, and notes from books and segments on the radio and newspapers I read.  Sometimes I write in full sentences, and sometimes I draw a picture or paint.  I have shortcuts and personal "codes" for the lack of a better word.  I might write a title or a phrase that is important to be followed by this -->>>>>>>> which means I want to research this idea or a word or phrase may look like this <<<<<-- love-->>> encased in these little arrows which reminds me it is essential.  Now and then the arrows become beaks of a bird, and a doodle will commence.  A journal is a creative place where I can be less distracted without pings and notifications of a computer or ap.  I do not worry about spelling, grammar, word choice, sentence fragments, and commas!  Researchers have found that by using a pen and paper, you see the following benefits:

  • Increased Creativity
  • Improved problem-solving skills
  • Better memory 
  • Critical thinking 
  • Improved learning 
  • Writing soothes the nerves 

I use both a computer and a pen and paper.  Once I allow myself the time to consider my ideas creatively, with pen and paper, I turn to Grammarly to help me with this blog, for example.  Here, I can focus on the more left-brain activities that are necessary for communication.

Permit yourself to create, to explore ideas, and grab a pen and paper.  Allow yourself to relax, write, scribble, jot, dot, underline, scrawl, scratch doodle, and design.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment